Vinod Driving School Corp. (Deena Patel Owner and divector) prepared this set of questions to help you study for the written test. We recommend that you also study the Driver's Manual issued by the Texas drivers Handbook.
1. When must you signal before making a turn?
A. At Least 100 feet
2. How close may you park to a stop sign, yield sign?
A. 30 feet
3. How close may you park to a crosswalk at intersection?
A. 20 feet
4. How close may you park to a fire hydrant?
A. 15 feet
5. What is the stopping distance on a dry road at 50 mph?
A. 229 feet
6. A flashing red traffic light means
A. stop, look and yield before proceeding
7. One of the best defenses against drunk drivers is?
A. Proper wearing of safety belt.
8. You must give a signal either by hand and arm or by a signal device?
A. anytime you change lanes
9. If you are teaching a beginner to drive, you must
A. be over 21 years old
10. A flashing yellow signal light means
A. always slow down
11. What are the penalties for driving without insurance?
A. 1st conviction $175minimum
12. If you have a blowout while driving, you should
A. steer firmly, take your foot off the gas and brake cautiously
13. What is an acceleration lane?
A. A extra lane provided at the entrance to an expressway
14. What is the penalty for refusing to take a breath test?
A. driver license suspension of 180 days
15. Drugs that effect basic driving skills are?
A. Cold pills, tranquilizers and some prescription drugs.
16. Who is responsible if a student commits a traffic offense?
A. Both the student and the instructor of licensed driver.
17. At 20 miles per hour the driver, from the moment he sees danger until he hits the brake, will travel about
A. 44 feet
18. What is a Habitual Offender?
A. Any person whose license has been suspended 3 times in one year.
19. When is the road surface most slippery?
A. During the first few minutes of rain
20. What is the "rule of thumb" for following distance on dry roads?
A. One car length back for each 10 mph or 2-3 second space between cars.
21. What does hydroplaning mean?
A. Losing the tire grip on wet roads and riding on a film of water.
22. What is an uncontrolled intersection?
A. One where are no traffic signs or signals.
23. What does BAC stand for? "
A. Blood Alcohol Concentration.
24. What does the word "tailgating" mean?
A. Driving too close to the vehicle in front
25. The speed limit in a school zone
A. 20 mph
26. What do two parallel lines across the road mean?
A. Pedestrian crosswalk
27. What divection should you check first when approaching an intersection?
A. To the left
28. What does a red and white triangular sign mean?
29. What does a red eight-sided sign mean?
30. What papers must you have when operating a motor vehicle?
A. License, registration and insurance card.
31. Marijuana will use
A. adversely affect a driver's concentration, judgment, and perceptual skills
32. Whether your blood alcohol raises above the legal limit depends on:
A. How fast you drink, your weight and the amount you drink.
33. A 12 ounce can of beer has as much alcohol in it as:
A. 5 ounces of wine or 1 half oz of 86 proof whiskey
34. What does a yellow diamond-shaped sign mean?
A. Warning or caution
35. What should you do if your brakes fail?
A. Shift to a lower gear and pump your brakes.
36. When a pedestrian walks out for into the street in violation of the law, you should
A. yield the right of way to avoid injuring him
37. What is the common mistake new drier makes with the brake?
A. Pushing the brake to hard
38. What is the first thing that should be done when a motor vehicle starts to skid?
A. take your foot off the accelerator and steer into the divection of the skid.
39. A driver' s left hand extended upward means what?
A. He is making a right turn
40. A driver' s left handed straight out means what?
A. He is making a left turn.
41. A driver' s left hand extended downward means what?
A. He is making a stop or slowing down
42. What should you do if your electric signals fail to operate?
A. Use hand signals.
43 What must you do if a school bus is stopped and its red light' s are flashing?
44. If you drive through a deep puddle, what should you do?
A. slow down
45. The first conviction penalty for driving while under the influence of alcohol or drug is:
A. $2000 fine and 72hours-180days in jail 90days-365days drivers license suspension
46. If you run over and kill someone while driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor, the worst offense with which you may be charged is
A. involuntary manslaughter
47. You should always yield to:
A. Other vehicles already in the intersection, pedestrians and emergency vehicles.
48. when you are caught behind a very slow truck going up a long hill, you should
A. stay behind the truck until you reach the top of the hill and the way is clear
49. Alcohol affects a driver by
A. slowing down reaction and impairing perception, interfering with concentration and dulling judgment and emotions become unstable
50. At night, a driver should dim his headlights when an oncoming motor vehicle comes within
A. 500 feet
51. Your driver's license will automatically be suspended if you are convicted of
A. possessing a fake driver's license.
52. The maximum daytime speed limit for passenger cars on designated rural interstates is
A. 60 mph
53.When parking near a corner, you may park your vehicle no closer than
A. 20 feet from a crosswalk
54. What should you do if approaching a flashing yellow light?
A. slow down
55. If you are being passed, you should
A. keep in your lane
56. What is a good rule for adjusting speed in traffic?
A. Try to adjust to the flow of traffic.
57. When driving in fog, you should
A. use lower headlight beam
58. In passenger car or truck (with a manufacturers rated carrying capacity of not more than 1500 pounds) which of the following must use safety belts?
A. all occupants
59. You move you must report your change of address to the Department of Public Safety within
A. 30 days
60. When choosing your driving speed, the most important thing to consider is
A. the condition of the weather, traffic, road, car, and driver
61. If you feel or hear an unusual thumping noise while driving, it may be?
A. The tires.
62. In Texas, persons considered under the influence when their BAC is.
63. You can practice driving with a valid learner' s permit:
A. Between 5 AM and 11 PM
64. As you drive, you must turn your headlights on:
A. one-half hour after sunset and ending one-half hour before sunrise, or any other time when persons or vehicles cannot be seen clearly for at least 1000 feet
65. What are some telltale signs of a drunk driver?
A. Speeding, weaving, slow driving, jerking motion and quick stops.
66.As you near an intersection, you discover you are in the wrong lane for turning right as intended therefore, you should
A. driver on ahead until you can get into the proper lane, then turn at another intersection
67. What does a flashing red light mean?
A. Stop, look and proceed with caution
68. What does a green light mean?
A. Proceed when safe.
69. What does a single solid white line across an intersection Mean?
A. You should stop behind the line for a traffic sign or signal.
70. If two cars reach a four-way stop at the same time, what is the procedure?
A. The driver on the left yields to the driver on the right.
71. What should be done if two cars enter an uncontrolled intersection simultaneously?
A. The driver on the left must yield to the driver on the right.
72. Which lights should you use when driving in fog?
A. Low beams
73. When should you use your high beam lights?
A. Open country driving situations.
74. If the front of your car vibrates, the problem may be with your?
75. You must always stop when
A. a traffic officer instructs you to stop
76. When making along trip, you should stop for a rest
A. about every two hours or one hundred miles
77. What should you do if you miss an exit on an expressway?
A. Go on to the next exit. Do not reverse or back up
78. How should you turn your wheels when parking downhill next to a curb?
A. To the right towards the curb.
79. A person's driver's license will automatically be suspended if convicted of:
A. possessing a false driver's license
80. If you want to return to the road from a divt shoulder:
A. Slow down, then turn your wheels to climb the pavement edge.
81. Marijuana use will
A. adversely affect a driver's concentration, judgment, and perceptual skills
82. The best way to reduce your chances of having an alcohol-related accident is to:
A. Don' t drive at all after drinking.
83. Driving while under the influence of intoxicating beverage means?
A. The driver shows obvious signs of being drunk.
84. What is the age minimum for obtaining a moped license?
A. 15 years old
85. What should you do if you go into a skid?
A. Take your foot off the gas pedal.
86. What should you do if you have a blowout?
A. Slow the vehicle gradually.
87. Child passenger safety seats are required for all children under the age of
88. Motorists must stop at least 15 feet from the railroad crossing when there are flashing lights or flag signals.
89. After overtaking another motor vehicle on a two-lane road, you can best judge when it is safe to driver back into the right-hand lane by
A. waiting until you can see the overtaken vehicle in your rearview mirror
90. If blinded by an approaching motor vehicle at night, it is best to
A. slow down and avoid looking divectly into the lights of the approaching vehicle
91. Why should you use seat & shoulder belts?
A. They increase your chances of surviving an accident.
92. Your driver's license may be suspended for
A. habitual reckless driving
93. When you hear a siren coming, you should
A. yield to the emergency vehicle speed up and get our of the way
94. The most important thing in baking a motor vehicle is
A. looking back carefully
95. If you have an accident in which someone is injured, you should
A. carefully help anyone who might be hurt and send for skilled help as quickly as possible
96. If you are driving at the speed limit and another driver sounds his horn and starts to pass, you should
A. slow down and allow him to pass
97. It is a good practice to keep a space cushion to:
A. Give you time to react.
98. What is the sequence of a traffic light in descending order?
A. Red, yellow and green.
99. The maximum fine for a first conviction of driving without a valid driver's license is
100. A driver waiting to make a left turn when the traffic light turns green should
A. turn only after there is no danger from oncoming vehicles
101. Heavy amphetamine use
A. makes a driver less coordinated and at times more likely to be involved in an accident
102. If the lights of oncoming cars are in your eyes, what should you do?
A. Look at the lower right side of your traffic lane.
103. Where are rearview mirrors' blind spots?
A. On the left and right sides and between rear window posts.
104. Including reaction time, the stopping distance is about 20feet at 10miles per hour, at 20 miles per hour it will be about
A. 63 feet
105. When parking parallel, it is best to leave the curb side wheels
A. 6 to 18 inches from the curb
106. The lights on your vehicle must be turned on at anytime day or night when persons and vehicles cannot be clearly seen for
A. 1000 feet
107. It is violation of state law for pedestrians to
A. stand in the roadway for purposes of soliciting a ride
108. If you are required to show proof of financial responsibility for the future, such proof must be kept up for
A. two years
109. If you get drowsy while driving it is best to
A. stop, get out and walk around
110. Your driver's license may be suspended for causing
A. one serious accident
111. If you involved in an injury accident in a city, you must immediately notify
A. the local police
112. If you run off the pavement, you should
A. steer straight and slow down before attempting to return to the pavement
113. When turning left from a three lane, one way street, you should turn from the
A. left lane
114. If you must walk on the highway, you should
A. walk on the left side in order to watch approaching vehicles
115. To avoid accidents, a defensive driver should
A. stay alert and look for trouble spots developing around him
116. When approaching an intersection, bridge or railroad crossing, you should never driver on the left half of the roadway when within
A. 100 feet
117. cars parked on the side of a highway at night should show
A. interior lights only
118. When you are taking medicine prescribed for you by a doctor you should
A. ask your doctor if it is safe for you to drive
119. When a vehicle ahead of you stops to let a pedestrian pass in front of it, you should
A. stay in line and wait until the vehicle ahead proceeds
120. Why should you driver slower at night?
A. the distance which you can see ahead is less
121. If your driver's license is suspended you may driver only
A. if you obtain an essential need driver's license
122. You may lawfully allow an object to extended beyond the lest side of your vehicle
A. 3 inches
123. After parking your vehicle, for greatest safety you should get out of your vehicle
A. on the curb side
124. When entering a street from a private alley or driveway, you must
A. yield to approaching vehicles and pedestrians
125. A. green arrow showing with a red traffic light means
A. you may go ahead carefully in the divection shown by the arrow
126. On multiple lane highways slow drivers should drive
A. in the right hand lane
127. As a driver, what traffic violations becomes a part of your permanent record in Austin?
A. all moving violations on which your are convicted
128. If you damage an unattended vehicle you must
A. located the owner or leave a signed statement on the vehicle
129. Stopping a vehicle with good brakes from 20 miles per hour under good conditions require about
A. 63 feet including thinking distance
130. When possible, pedestrians should walk
A. on a sidewalk